This Is Shambles House

One woman. Three cats. Few handyman skills. One 1914 American Foursquare in need of attention. Chaos and hijinks.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, AZ, United States

I spend a lot of time riding the bus; the time I don't spend doing that or working I gleefully waste doing WHATEVER I DAMN WELL PLEASE.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Project 1: Old Bedroom

Project 1 is to finish up my old bedroom, move my desk and craft stuff into it, and have a logical and useful arrangement of those items.

As of this week, I had done bits and pieces of getting this ready. I had painted the closet, ceiling and upper trim, and primed the walls. Previously, the walls had been painted a SW color called "Wheat Grass" and the ceiling was "Butter Up." Perfectly fine colors, just please don't put them together or you'll be completely drained every time you enter the rooml. The closet was originally painted "Quiver Tan." This was not my doing, only my compromise.

What I have left:

repair crack on wall
repaint trim and windows, touch up ceiling
strip the heating grate
repair plaster around where I was able to pry the grate off the wall, after applying the miracle product CitriStrip in a spray can
put another coat of "Lime Rickey" on the walls (first coat went on a little unevenly)


Pictures!

Originally:





Now:



The "Lime Rickey" is a little...intense, but I like it. It looks like parakeets. It makes me smile involuntarily. It looks very minty in the can, and when I put it on the walls it looked lighter, sometimes like a soft olive.

No, I never try out a color on the wall before painting it. That just invites mindfucking.

I was stymied by today's fog and the fact that the light bulb burned out in the overhead fan. And it turns out it broke off too. I tried the potato trick, but it hasn't worked. So I investigated Home Depot's selection of wall patch stuff. I'll post on how it works out, since I'll need a ton of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home