This Is Shambles House

One woman. Three cats. Few handyman skills. One 1914 American Foursquare in need of attention. Chaos and hijinks.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, AZ, United States

I spend a lot of time riding the bus; the time I don't spend doing that or working I gleefully waste doing WHATEVER I DAMN WELL PLEASE.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Progress, of Sorts

Here at Feckless, Lazy & Cheerful* we have fallen a bit behind due to nice weather and general anxiety.

However, knowledge of the fact that Patrick & Genevieve will be coming to visit next Friday has spurred some progress. A couple of weeks ago I bought curtains for my bedroom. They are the thermal kind, to cut down on the heat loss. Then I had to buy curtain rods and hardware. And yesterday? I finally put them up. It was nerve-wracking, the whole figuring out the drill and tunnelling into the wall. But they're up, and they look nice, although they also make the room 100 times darker. Which will soon lead me to some home electricity experiments (the outlet by the bed does not work, which is frustrating), but not today.

No pictures, because I want it to be a surprise.

Also curtains impede the daily Squirrel Patrol! Squirrel Patrol! watch, in which the cats all sit on window sills and the bed waiting for the squirrel to jump from the top of the roof. Then they promise that it's only a matter of short time before they get out and rumble. After morning nappy, you know.

Also, this week Paul addressed the leaking bathtub faucet. Which was an adventure that lead us to Ingersoll's, where the hardware guy admitted that even he did not know quite what was up with the innards of my tub's water supply. Plus, we touched other items in the water supply and disturbed the ecosystem.

So now I have a leaking hot water valve in the basement. Again. However, having been rooked to the tune of $140 last year to replace a washer--there, I admit it!--I feel confident that I can fix this myself. Even if the screw is so rusted from corrosion that I needed to buy a new wrench because we are going to have to bypass that and take off the whole handle.

And when I saw "we", I mean me, at least until the point I start crying in frustration.




*A Kerry Enterprises subsidiary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home